Pillows provide comfort and support for our bodies and heads so that we can sleep soundly, although experts argue about is it better to sleep with or without a pillow sleeping on pillows definitely has its benefits, but still rises the question why do we sleep on pillows?
History of pillows
The earliest record of using pillows was back to the civilization of Mesopotamia. Pillows for them symbolized status, so the more pillows one owned the more affluence he or she held. It was used for a variety of reasons such as helping neck, back, and shoulder pain or for comfort, or was used for keeping bugs and insects away from their heads.
Other cultures that don’t use pillows
There are cultures that don’t use pillows when sleeping, such as The Kung (northwest Botswana), The Efe ( Zaire ), The Hiwi (Venezuela). These people don’t use pillows at all, they sleep on the ground, skin, leaves, or hammocks with no pillows included.
So pillows is not an essential part for us humans in order to sleep, so why do we sleep on pillows ?
Why do we sleep on pillows
Sleeping on pillows is just a matter of extra comfort and support for our bodies, and it’s cultural habit, so if you are one of the The Efe or The Kung you may see this thing is just useless and you would not need any pillows, or maybe you wouldn’t sleep if you are using pillows.
Benefits of sleeping with pillows
Pillows provide comfort and support for our bodies and heads so that we can sleep soundly, although experts argue about is it better to sleep with or without a pillow, here are the benefits of sleeping with pillows:
- it can prevent acid reflux, which essentially is the acid of stomach flowing back up to the food pipe, which causes pain felt internally around lower chest area. Pillows can help prevent that.
- Can prevent Glaucoma, which is a condition that causes damage to your eye’s optic nerve due to pressure. The eye optic nerve gets the highest amount of pressure when we are lying down and the least amount when we are standing up.
- Pillow-less sleeping can be unhealthy for side sleeping, when you’re sleeping on your side you are causing bend on your cervical spine which in turn pinches the ridges of your spine, the friction generated by this pinching can result in painful bone spurs.
Is it easy to sleep without pillows ?
sleeping without a pillow can be tough at first, if you want to start sleeping without a pillow follow these steps :
- Don’t immediately shift to sleeping without a pillow, our bodies don’t like change and have huge resistant to it, so the bigger and more sudden changes the more our bodies become resistant and sleeping may become harder overall,
- Use a folded towel for the first few weeks, then gradually decrease the hight of the towel week by week until you get used to it.
- Make sure to keep your neck aligned as you are lowering your pillow’s height your neck might get unaligned which can cause you neck pain in the next morning, so make sure your neck is correctly aligned in order to avoid any pains.
Does sleeping without pillows have any benefits ?
sleeping without pillows does actually have benefits as experts reveal.
Sleeping without a pillow can reverse acne, as we explained before pillows can actually cause you acne or at least contributes to the problem, and sleeping without pillows can be an effective solution to this issue.
Sleeping on a thick pillow can cause you spine misalignment and thus you get neck and back pain problems, sleeping without a pillow can help you avoid such kind of problems because it lets the body become in a natural position which will help you relief the pain.
Also sleeping without pillows can prevent wrinkles on the face. People who sleep on pillows tend to develop wrinkles on the face faster, because wrinkles happens when pressure is applied to on the skin, pillows actually help increasing pressure on the skin and as a result the wrinkles appear on the face.
Sleeping on pillows is not an essential part for us it is more of a cultural habit, we grew up with our parents sleeping on pillows so we are sleeping on pillows. There are benefits of course to sleep on pillows such as comfort and support to our head and neck, but there are also some disadvantages for pillows.
In the end life is a balance between choices, everything has advantages and disadvantages and we choose what fits us the best.
We wish you a good nights sleep 🙂